Best Blu Ray Media Brands Part 19: Best Brands Review
We can collate most of the information we gathered in our brand-by-brand analysis in a single easy-to-read chart.
|Figure 1: Blu Ray Blank Media Brands Ordered By Increasing Predicted Quality|
All brands are ordered by increasing predictive quality rating, although we used our corrected rating for Verbatim LTH (we took out negative reviews caused to non-LTH readers or burners). The line above shows statistical significance, which indicates if the review sample size is enough to give statistically valid results. We can clearly see a two-tiered quality structure. Below 80% predictive quality rating are all the brands which we believe should not be considered today. All of our recommended brands have a predictive quality rating over 80%.Those brands on the right with low statistical significance have the potential to see their predictive quality rating go up, and may be considered archival quality when enough additional user reviews are published.
Brands to avoid:
- Memorex: data loss
- Ritek: data loss
- Panasonic: rewritable discs do not rewrite more than 20-30 cycles, may improve with time and become archival quality
- Kodak: poor overall quality
- Merax: poor overall quality
- Maxell: poor overall quality
- VinPower: poor overall quality
Recommended at this time: non archival quality brands with other uses
- #7 Verbatim non-premium: a small percentage of data loss, media and rating may improve with time
- #6 Verbatim DataLifePlus: likely archival quality, not enough reviews, rating may improve in time
- #5: Taiyo Yuden/ JVC: likely archival quality, not enough reviews, rating may improve in time
- #4: Optical Quantum: excellent reviews, poor DVD media record, outsourced media of high variability, rating may get worse with time - watch user reviews carefully
Recommended at this time: archival quality brands
- #3 Sony: all formats except BD-RE DL, sometimes outsourced to Panasonic
- #2 Verbatim LTH: excellent media ONLY IF your players and burners are LTH compatible
- #1 TDK: all formats, excellent coatings, no reservations
Best overall Blu Ray media brand: TDK
Next, we enter our Blu Ray Media Guide section on the recommended media themselves, and discuss recommended models for BD-R LTH media... So come back soon!
To understand Blu Ray lingo, check our lexicon of Blu Ray vocabulary. Our Blu Ray brand predictive quality rating process is explained here. Our statistical analysis practices are described here, which is also where we discuss ConsumerPla.net's predictive quality rating.